Are The Ants In McAllen Hard To Get Rid Of?
March 15, 2023 - Ants
Common Types Of Ants Found In McAllen
There are countless species of ants, and a great deal of them can be found in McAllen. The most common to find their way into McAllen homes and businesses include black ants, carpenter ants, crazy ants, fire ants, ghost ants, harvester ants, leaf cutter ants, and sugar ants. There's a daunting number of ant species likely to invade, but not all of them are dangerous to your home or health.
Why You Don't Want Ants Crawling Around Your Home
Despite their small size, the sheer number of ants in any one colony can cause undue harm in a home. Ants can contaminate your food with harmful bacteria as they collect food to transport back to their nests. Certain specific ant species can cause more harm than others.
Carpenter ants build their nests by burrowing through wood and can cause damage similar to termites as they expand their nesting grounds. Fire ants have potent venom, and their sting can be horribly painful, even triggering allergic reactions. Crazy ants live in massive colonies that can easily take over outdoor spaces as well as harm pets, agriculture, and livestock.
What Attracts Ants To A Home?
Ants will enter homes searching for food, shelter, and water, especially during inclement weather such as storms. However, there are ways to reduce the chance of ants getting in your home and remove attractants that draw them in. Here are some factors that may be attracting ants to your home:
- Moisture issues or high humidity. Be sure to fix any water leaks and reduce humidity to limit water sources for ants.
- Easy access to food. Store fresh fruit in the refrigerator and use sealed containers in your pantry to keep ants from accessing your food.
- Garbage. Your trash can may also provide food sources for ants. Make sure to use a can with a tight-fitting lid, dispose of trash when full, and clean the can regularly.
- Crumbs and spills. Promptly clean up any spills and sweep up crumbs daily to keep from attracting ants.
- Entry points. If ants can easily access your home, they probably will. Inspect your home for small cracks and crevices and seal them.
Taking steps to reduce the factors that attract ants can help prevent an ant infestation from starting. However, if you're already in the midst of an ant problem, you may need some help getting rid of them.
Contact The Pros At The First Sign Of Ants In Your Home
Professional ant control in McAllen is the best possible option for protecting your home. Once an infestation begins, it can be almost impossible to fully remove ants from your property on your own. Luckily, the experts at Bugworks Termite & Pest Control are here for McAllen homeowners like you.
Our pest control specialists have the knowledge to handle both indoor and outdoor ant control. Our ant control solutions will give you the edge you need to keep your home safe and healthy all year long. Contact Bugworks Termite & Pest Control for more information today.
"Very prompt and courteous service for our flea and tick control service. Employee Jorge Martinez arrived on time, answered any questions I had, and made my experience with Bug Works a very positive one. Thank you Jorge and Bug Works!"