Carpenter Bees In McAllen: What You Need To Know
July 20, 2022 - Stinging Insects
If you've been noticing strange black stinging insects flying around your house, there's a good chance you're dealing with carpenter bees. Carpenter bees are an important part of the ecosystem, but they can also be a nuisance if they start nesting in your home. Bugworks Termite & Pest Control will tell you everything you need to know about carpenter bee behavior, why they're important to our environment, tips on avoiding carpenter bee wood damage, and humane carpenter bee removal tips with McAllen pest control.
Carpenter Bees Vs. Bumble Bees
Carpenter bees get their name from their ability to drill perfectly round holes in wood in order to lay their eggs.
They're often mistaken for bumble bees, but there are a few key differences between the two:
- Carpenter bees are almost twice as large as bumble bees.
- Carpenter bees have a bare, shiny abdomen while bumble bees have a hairy abdomen with yellow markings.
- Carpenter bees are solitary creatures while bumble bees live in colonies.
- Carpenter bees are slightly more aggressive than bumble bees.
- Bumble bees can sting multiple times while carpenter bees can only sting once.
If you're ever unsure and worried about what's buzzing around your yard, it's best to contact a professional beekeeper or pest control company.
Carpenter Bees Bee-ing Important Pollinators
Despite their reputation for being pests, carpenter bees are important to the environment. Just like bumble bees, they help fertilize plants and flowers so that they can grow and produce fruit. According to the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation, about one-third of our food supply depends on pollinators like carpenter bees. Carpenter bees are especially important in agricultural areas where they help to pollinate crops such as melons, cucumbers, squash, and pumpkins.
However, carpenter bees pose a threat to your home if they start nesting in it. Their nests can cause structural damage to your house, and the bees themselves can be a nuisance. If you have young children or pets, you may also want to remove the bees from your home for their safety. Carpenter bees are not naturally aggressive, but they will sting if they feel threatened. Their stings are not poisonous or lethal, but they can be painful.
If you have a carpenter bee nest in your home, it's best to call a pest control company like Bugworks Termite & Pest Control for professional carpenter bee treatment.
Do Carpenter Bees Do More Good Than Harm?
Carpenter bees are important pollinators, but they are attracted to wood, which can pose a problem if they start nesting in your home.
Here's how carpenter bees can cause issues on your property:
- Carpenter bees bore holes into wood, which can weaken the structure of your house.
- The tunnels that carpenter bees create can provide entry points for water and other pests.
- Carpenter bee nests can attract other types of bees and wasps.
- If you have an allergy to bee stings, a carpenter bee sting could be dangerous.
The amount of damage carpenter bees can do to your home depends on the size of their nest and how long they've been nesting there. A small nest with a few bees will cause minimal damage, but a large nest with many bees can cause extensive damage.
Gentle Carpenter Bee Removal For McAllen Residents
If you have carpenter bees nesting in your home, there are a few things you can do to remove them humanely:
- Trim back any vegetation near your house that the bees may be using as a nest.
- Hang a bee house in your yard to provide an alternative nesting site. This will keep carpenter bees away from your house.
- Hire a pest control company. This is the best option if you have a large nest or you're not comfortable dealing with the bees yourself.
Carpenter bees are important pollinators, but they can also be a nuisance if they nest in your McAllen home. If you have a carpenter bee nest in your home, it's best to call a pest control company like Bugworks Termite & Pest Control to remove them for you. We're experts at removing bees humanely and safely, so you don't have to worry about the bees or the damage they could cause.
If you're concerned about carpenter bee control in McAllen, give us a call today for a free quote and get started on our effective home pest control and commercial pest control services.
Joseph did a great job with bee removal. He was professional and courteous. I've used this company several times in the past for everything from ants to roaches. I've been satisfied with the work done every time.