Don't Accidentally Attract Mice In McAllen
January 15, 2023 - Mice
If you've heard scurrying or squeaking overhead or discovered droppings and urine on your kitchen counter or cabinets, you may have mice living in your house. This guide will tell you about the habits of some of the more common mice species, the damage they can cause, what attracts mice to your property, and how to get rid of mice in McAllen. Fortunately, professional McAllen pest control companies such as Bugworks Termite & Pest Control are ready to help you wage war against these pests.
Habits And Behaviors Of Common Mice
There are many different types of mice you might find in your McAllen home, including the cactus mouse, Nelson's pocket mouse, the white-ankled mouse, the house mouse, and the deer mouse. By far, the most common are the house mouse and the deer mouse, so this article will talk primarily about those two types of mice.
Deer mice get their name because their hair resembles that of deer, in tawny and grayish shades of brown with white bellies and feet. They're about five to eight inches long, including their brown and white tail, and they have round ears and beady eyes. They primarily live outdoors in woodlands and grassy areas, but they may also be found in summer homes, sheds, and suburban areas near forests.
House mice are about the same size as deer mice, but their hair is light brown to dark gray. They have larger, rounder ears than deer mice, and the same beady eyes. House mice are more commonly found inside houses than deer mice.
The Damage Mice Can Create On Your Property
Mice can cause untold amounts of damage to your property. Knowing that mice in walls sound like scratching and squeaks can help you pinpoint where their nests are located.
Inside your walls, they can chew through floor joists, wall studs, water, gray water, natural gas pipes, cables, and electrical wires. That leaves you open to water damage, carbon monoxide poisoning, and fire hazards.
When mice leave the safety of their nests to forage for food, they often stop to gnaw on your furniture, doors, door jambs, walls, baseboards, floors, and cupboards. They have to constantly chew because their front teeth never stop growing. If they don't gnaw, mice's teeth can grow up to four inches per year.
You may have heard that mice can make you sick and wonder, "What kind of diseases do mice carry?" Mice can indeed make you ill, carrying such diseases as:
- Adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCM)
It's important to keep these McAllen rodents out of your property to avoid the damage and disease they bring.
Factors That Attract Mice To Your Property
An indoor mouse problem usually starts as an outside mouse problem. There are many factors that can attract mice in your McAllen home, including:
- Harborage: Mice need somewhere to make their nests. Mice can nest in hollow logs, stacks of firewood, under decks and outbuildings, and in little-used vehicles. They may hide in tall grass or piles of yard debris, including fallen leaves in your flower beds. If you eliminate these opportunities for mice to hide in your yard, you're less likely to have them on your property.
- Food: Mice have to eat, just like any other animal. They are attracted to bird feeders and pet bowls but will also eat fruit and nuts dropped from trees and anything growing in your garden. Take down bird feeders, bring your pet's food inside at dusk, and clean up dropped fruit and nuts regularly. You can also use ¼ inch hardware cloth in 26 gauge or stronger to protect your garden from mice.
- Water: Any source of standing water can attract mice to your property, including bird baths, leaky faucets or sprinkler systems, downspouts, and pet water bowls. Get rid of the bird bath, fix the leaks, redirect downspout runoff with splash stones or extenders, and bring water bowls at dusk with the food bowls.
Sometimes, prevention is the best pest control for mice – it's like the lottery: you can't win if you don't play. If you don't invite mice into your yard with shelter, food, and water, they'll stay out of your house.
Professional House Mouse Control Is The Best Option
By far, the fastest way to get rid of mice is to call in a professional McAllen rodent control company such as Bugworks Termite & Pest Control. We have more than 18 years of experience in pest control, employ only certified professional technicians, and guarantee your satisfaction. We want those mice out of your house as much as you do. Contact us now to request information on a free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in McAllen.
I loved the customer service they gave my mom house. Joseph did an excellent job. He was very informative and made my mom feel comfortable with the service he provided. I recommend this company and ask for Joseph. He has great customer service.