Why It's Very Important To Address Mosquito Infestations In McAllen
September 16, 2022 - Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes may not invade your house the same way bed bugs or cockroaches do, but that doesn't mean you won't end up with a mosquito problem in McAllen. When it comes to getting rid of mosquitos in your yard, you'll need the pros on your side.
Here's what McAllen residents should know about mosquitoes, why you shouldn't let infestations go untreated, how to prevent them, and how pest control in McAllen can help you with mosquitoes in Texas.
Is This A Mosquito Or A Fly?
Many flying insects, including flies and mosquitoes, can look the same. So what do mosquitoes look like, and how do you tell them apart? One of the easiest ways to tell them apart physically is by their mouths. Mosquitoes have a needle-shaped protrusion on the front of their face, called a proboscis, that allows them to suck blood and nectar.
Speaking of sucking blood, flies don't bite you to drink your blood. While flies can sometimes bite, it's less common. They also lack the mosquito's thin, elongated body. Flies also don't carry mosquito-borne diseases either, but they can transmit bacteria.
Don't Let Mosquitoes Go Untreated
Are mosquitoes dangerous? Yes, and if you don't treat mosquitoes in your yard, the infestation will only worsen.
Not only is it uncomfortable to deal with bug bites all the time, but mosquitoes can spread dangerous diseases too, such as:
- West Nile virus
- Yellow fever
- Dengue fever
- Chikungunya virus
- Zika virus
Now that you know that mosquitoes get associated with plenty of dangerous diseases, how do they manage to spread these illnesses in the first place? Although every mosquito bite can put you at risk, this doesn't mean every mosquito carries a disease. In fact, only a small percentage of mosquitoes are carriers.
Mosquitoes pick up these dangerous diseases, like malaria or dengue fever, by biting someone who's already infected with the illness. Once they've bitten an infected person, the mosquito is infected and capable of spreading that disease to non-infected individuals.
So, you'll only catch a mosquito-borne disease if an infected mosquito bites you. But the risk will always be there unless you get rid of mosquitoes in your yard.
Preventing Mosquitoes In McAllen
Whether you're looking for how to prevent mosquitoes around your property or limit the number of mosquito bites when you go out, here are some steps you can take to repel mosquitoes from you and your McAllen property:
- Avoid wearing dark-colored clothing that attracts mosquitoes, and opt for light-colored clothing that blends in better.
- Wear clothing that limits the amount of exposed skin, like long pants, shirts, or even jackets while you're outside.
- Wear natural mosquito repellent scents like lavender, citronella, or lemon eucalyptus.
- Avoid going outside or exercising during times of the day when mosquito activity is the most prevalent, like dusk and dawn.
- Keep your grass cut short, deal with overgrown weeds in your yard, and trim your shrubbery and foliage.
- Clear your gutters regularly and ensure they aren't directing standing water toward your house.
- Remove standing water on your property, like troughs or debris that collects water, flooded gutters, or drainage issues that could be collecting water.
- If you have standing water features, like fountains or birdbaths, make sure they're cycling regularly and haven't become a mosquito breeding ground.
Preventing mosquitoes in the first place can be far easier than dealing with an active infestation. For help preventing or controlling mosquitoes you can always call on the experts at Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co.
How Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co. Can Help With Mosquitoes
While the tips above can help you prevent your property (or your skin) from becoming a hub for mosquito activity, they may not be able to reduce mosquito activity as much as you need them to. In that case, it may be time to leave it to the professionals, like those of us at Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co.
Not only can we reduce current mosquito activity around your property, but we'll look for potential attractions that could lure future mosquitoes. If you've got a mosquito problem on your McAllen property, call us at Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co. today for a free estimate or to learn more about our mosquito control programs.
I loved the customer service they gave my mom house. Joseph did an excellent job. He was very informative and made my mom feel comfortable with the service he provided. I recommend this company and ask for Joseph. He has great customer service.