Why You Should Never Skip An Annual Termite Inspection In McAllen
December 15, 2022 - Termites
The Types Of Termites That Infest McAllen Homes
There are four types of termites infesting McAllen homes: subterranean, drywood, agricultural, and Formosan termites. Each of these termite species attacks wood, but they differ in these ways:
- Subterranean termites require high moisture content and work and live in water-damaged wood in contact with the soil. This termite group is in damp crawlspaces, old tree stumps, unprotected landscaping timbers, fence posts, and underneath poorly drained wood porches and decks.
- Drywood termites are in drier wood in attics, outdoor wood patio furniture, and window and door frames.
- Agricultural termites differ from subterranean and drywood in that they do not attack structures; instead, they live in grassy areas and weeds where they feed on dead wood.
- Formosan termites are a ferocious segment of the subterranean termite family. Formosan termites live in damp areas but have much larger nests and eat wood faster than other subterranean termites.
Avoiding termite damage requires annual termite inspections to determine if any of these termite species is invading your McAllen property.
The Extent Of Damage Termites Can Cause To Your Home
Wood structures attract other termites but not agricultural termites. Each termite species damages wood, but the damage may vary according to area and type. Here is a list of the evidence of termite damage:
- Crumbling wood: Check beams and trusses in the attic, crawlspaces, fence posts, window and door frames, and landscape timbers for this damage.
- Hollow-sounding wood: Formosan and subterranean termites eat along the grain pattern and often cause this damage.
- Drywall pinholes: Drywood termites are usually the culprit because they don't require high moisture to survive and can damage lower humid areas.
- Blistering paint or wallpaper: Another likely sign of drywood termites; however, if there is dampness in the walls, it could be from Formosan and subterranean termites.
- Crunching sound: If the floor sounds like crackling paper beneath your feet, it is probably the result of Formosan and subterranean termites in the crawlspace or basement.
- Warped window or door frames: Drywood termites are often to blame, but if those frames are near leaking pipes or areas with improper drainage, Formosan and subterranean termites could be to blame.
- Sagging floors or ceilings: Drooping floors are evidence of Formosan and subterranean termites, and falling ceilings are from drywood termites.
These signs of a termite problem in McAllen indicate costly repairs are ahead!
Why Annual Termite Inspections Are Worth It
In the financial world, there is what is known as compound interest. A small monthly savings and compounding interest will result in a financial reward at retirement. In the same way, investing in a termite inspection is making you money in the long term by saving you from future costly repairs. Since most insurance policies do not cover termite damage to McAllen homes, homeowners must pay the cost of termite damage to their homes.
Failing to invest in a termite inspection near you offered by Bugworks Termite & Pest Control may cost you in the future when you have to pay a contractor to replace damaged support beams, frames, trusses, and subflooring. An annual termite inspection is an easy way to avoid these unnecessary expenses.
How To Get Rid Of Termites In Your Home
Eliminating termites requires knowledge of termite species and effective treatment products. The best McAllen termite control company for your home is Bugworks Termite & Pest Control. Our licensed termite technicians know where to look for termites and the signs of their presence. An annual inspection will reveal if a termite swarm has invaded your property and begun creating new nests. Don't risk losing money on future costly repairs! A nominal annual investment is far less than thousands of dollars in repair bills. Contact us today to get started and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in McAllen.
"I highly recommend BugWorks for any of your pest control needs. They are very professional and thorough with their work."