Do You Need Help Dealing With The Termites In McAllen?
September 23, 2022 - Termites
Having pests in your McAllen home is never fun, but dealing with a wood-destroying pest like termites can result in hundreds or thousands of dollars in structural damage. Fortunately, you can get these pests out before they destroy your home.
Here's what McAllen homeowners should know about the signs of termites, what attracts them, and how pest control in McAllen can help you with termite removal and treatments.
Termite Infestations Can Be Tricky To Spot
Termites can cause billions of dollars in property damage annually, but how much damage can they cause for the average homeowner? A single termite infestation can cost hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on the size of the infestation. Unfortunately, termite infestations can go unnoticed for years, which gives these pests plenty of time to eat their way through your home.
Large termite colonies, which can include millions of termites, are capable of eating up to a pound of wood per day. The damage may not always be obvious, but if the termite colony goes untreated for long enough, these critters can significantly impact the structural integrity of your house and foundation.
Some of the most common damage and signs of termites include:
- Doors and windows suddenly feel ill-fitting in their frames or "stick" when you try to use them.
- Wood sounds hollow when you tap or step on it.
- Peeling paint on your walls may look like water damage.
- The drywall begins to droop.
- Maze-like patterns run through hardwood floors, furniture, or other wooden items in your home.
- Walls or ceilings begin to buckle.
- Tiny entry-holes appear where termites have tunneled through your walls.
If you start noticing these or other signs of termites, there's no time to waste. Contact a professional company like Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co. for expert termite solutions.
Termite Infestations Can Be Hard To Treat
The reason termite infestations cause so much damage and cost homeowners so much money is that it takes three to eight years on average for infestations to get discovered. Even if you know what to look for, the signs of termites aren't always obvious to the average homeowner – which is why having annual inspections performed can make a big difference.
Not only can a termite expert catch infestations before they cost you thousands of dollars, but if there is damage in your home, they can help identify how much of your home's structural integrity is compromised.
Once an annual inspection has found termites in your house, you can leave all the hard work involved in termite treatments up to the pros.
Don't Accidentally Attract More Termites
A termite problem can be difficult to prevent, but here are some natural ways to make your McAllen home less attractive to these pests:
- Eliminate any contact between soil and wood: Homes that allow easy access between wood and soil attract subterranean termites, so you'll want to create distance between wooden siding and soil around your home.
- Fix any leaks: If you've got leaking roofs, pipes, or other moisture issues, it may only be a matter of time before you end up with termites. Most termites are drawn to water-damaged or rotting wood.
- Get rid of clutter: Cellulose materials, like paper, cardboard boxes, newspapers, and other excess clutter, can attract termites. Try to regularly de-clutter your home of any items with cellulose.
- Regularly check for termites: Checking for the signs of termites listed above can help you catch infestations early.
And, as mentioned above, the best way to catch termite infestations – or find ways that you may be attracting them – is by working with a pest control company like Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co.
Professional Termite Control For McAllen Homes
Receiving annual inspections can be a necessary precaution to catching termites early, but what do you do if you actually discover these pests in your home? As dangerous as termites can be for your home and wallet, there's only one secret to total termite removal and protection, and that's working with Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co.
Our small team of experts has years of experience serving McAllen and surrounding areas, and we can put our expertise and time-tested treatments to good use in your McAllen home. If you think you've got termites, don't wait to call – contact us today at Bugworks Termite & Pest Control Co. for more information about how our total termite protection services work.
I highly recommend BugWorks for any of your pest control needs. They are very professional and thorough with their work.