McAllen's Guide To American Cockroach Control
November 05, 2022 - Cockroaches
Think back to an embarrassing moment in your life. Do you remember the feelings? Do you remember what caused the embarrassment? We don't want to be embarrassed, so we do all we can to avoid being mortified. Some pests, like ants and spiders, are a nuisance and may create fear, but other pests, like American cockroaches, are a nuisance, fear-generating, embarrassing pest to have in the house. When guests visit, few things are as horrific as a cockroach running out from underneath the couch.
If you have seen roaches in your house, you need the best pest control in McAllen, Bugworks Termite & Pest Control. Since 2004, we have been eliminating cockroaches; we will stop cockroaches from giving you nightmares.
Identifying American Roaches In McAllen
The two types of cockroaches in MacAllen are American and German cockroaches. With a body length of 1 1/2 to 2 inches, the reddish-brown American cockroach is larger than the German cockroach. Another identifier of the American cockroach is the figure-eight pattern on the back of its head, outlined by a yellowish band. Like other insects, it has three pairs of segmented legs and two antennae.
Not all cockroaches can fly, but you may see an American cockroach flying in your home because it can use its wings to cover short distances. Sadly, this disgusting creature has a longer lifespan than other cockroaches allowing it to live up to two years. It is worth noting that some refer to the American cockroach as a water or palmetto bug.
Why Are American Roaches Attracted To Homes?
American cockroaches prefer the outdoors but will enter homes due to sustained periods of heavy rain or extreme weather when they cause food shortages.
To get rid of cockroaches in your McAllen home or to keep them out, do the following:
- Seal cracks in the foundation, beneath the siding, and around windows and doors.
- Close any gaps between wiring, pipes, and the foundation.
- Remove animal feces from the yard.
- Clear the lawn of debris like wood stacks, leaf piles, and other water-collecting items.
- Prune tree branches and shrubs away from the home to prevent access to the house.
- Dehumidify the crawlspace, basement, and attic.
- Provide good ventilation in bathrooms.
- Keep indoor and outdoor garbage cans closed.
- Wipe down cooking and eating surfaces after meals.
- Vacuum the house and use a wand attachment to suction corners and cracks.
Implementing these tips will help keep cockroaches away from your McAllen home.
How To Tell If There Is An American Cockroach Infestation In My Home
Although cockroaches are nocturnal and are most active while you sleep, that doesn't mean you won't see signs of a cockroach infestation.
These are indications that cockroaches are present in your McAllen home:
- Droppings: In dimly-lit areas, cockroaches leave fecal matter resembling coffee grounds.
- Capsules: Female American cockroaches produce dark purse-shaped capsules, known as oothecae, monthly, and each case contains about 16 cockroaches.
- Odor: Male cockroaches produce dank, musty-smelling pheromones as an aphrodisiac to entice females.
- Discarded skin: Like other insects, cockroaches must shed their exoskeleton to grow.
- Streaks: Cockroaches leave behind irregular dark smears on walls.
Due to their high reproduction rate, if you find a cockroach in your house, more are probably hiding in kitchen cabinets, underneath furniture, next to leaky pipes, and in other dark corners of the home.
Professional Help To Get Rid Of Cockroaches In McAllen
Bugworks Termite & Pest Control is the solution if you want to get rid of American cockroaches. Our technicians will inspect your McAllen home and locate potential nesting and egg areas. We will develop a plan to eliminate the current generation and their eggs. Don't be embarrassed again by the presence of American cockroaches; contact us today to schedule an inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in McAllen.
I highly recommend BugWorks for any of your pest control needs. They are very professional and thorough with their work.