In our area, we have lots of rodents that come into our yards. We have cute rodents, like chipmunks and squirrels, that play in our yards. We have ground rodents like voles and gophers, that dig in the ground and damage our lawns. And, we have mice and rats. They're the worst. These pests commonly get into McAllen homes and create issues. This is because mice and rats have a long history of human dependency. They would much rather live off us than live off the land. Today, we're going to talk about how Texas rodents get into McAllen homes, why it is difficult to get rid of them, and what works to effectively control them. As always, if you need immediate assistance with a rodent problem, reach out to us for rodent control.
How Rodents Get In
When a rodent explores the exterior of your home, there are many ways it might get in. Here are a few to consider.
- Mice are little rodents with squishy bodies. An adult mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. It will get in through gaps and cracks.
- Rats are big rodents with squishy bodies. An adult rat can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter. It will get in through slightly large entry points.
- Mice, rats, and squirrels are great climbers. They can scale trees, run down branches and leap onto your roof. They can run along powerlines to get on your roof. They may also use downspouts to crawl up through your gutter system. On your roof, a rodent can chew through seals around roof penetrations or get in through soffits. They've even been known to climb down chimneys.
- Mice and rats can scale the exterior walls of certain structures. They can also climb drainpipes and vines. This allows them to get to openings that are high up, such as open ventilation or louvers.
- Mice, rats, and squirrels have strong teeth. They use their teeth to chew through building materials, such as wood, plastic, and rubber. They may even chip away at concrete if they're motivated enough. They use these incisors to get past entry door seals and seals around foundation penetrations.
- Mice and rats can hold their breath for a long time. It is rare, but they have been known to get into homes and businesses from culvert systems through drainage pipes.
When mice, rats, and squirrels get into McAllen homes, it is usually difficult to get rid of them.
- While squirrels are cute rodents that play in your yard, and will usually stay in your yard, they can be frustrating to control when they get the idea that living in your McAllen home is a pretty good idea. These playful, and mostly docile animals, can attack you if you corner them and try to remove them. If you attempt to trap them, this requires some know-how. Without the skills to set traps correctly, and properly bait them, you're not going to catch a squirrel.
- Mice may be little rodents, but they are a big frustration when you try to get rid of them. These clever animals can become trap shy if they smell a dead rodent on your traps, or when they smell the scent of your skin oils on your traps.
- Rats are big rodents, and you can expect big trouble when they get inside. In our area, we primarily deal with two rodents species. They are Norway rats and roof rats. Norway rats are mostly ground rodents because they prefer to live in burrows in the ground. While they can get into your home and stay, there is a greater chance that they'll live in your yard. Roof rats live in high places and are attracted to living in your attic. When either of these two rats gets inside, they're difficult to trap and remove. Rats are suspicious by nature, and will not easily take to traps.
- Secure all garbage in covered containers.
- Remove birdfeeders or put them at least 20 feet from your exterior. Rodents love birdseed.
- Remove yard clutter.
- Thin landscape vegetation to make it feel more open.
- Seal entry points in your exterior.
- Create a good seal around pipes and wire conduits.
- Replace weatherstripping if needed.
- Install door sweeps.
- Repair or replace screens.
- Trim tree branches away from your roofline.
- Put wire mesh in downspouts.
- Use hardware cloth to protect louvers.
- Install a chimney cap.
- Apply metal flashing to vulnerable spots.
- Move any stacked wood well away from your exterior.
How To Get Rid Of Rodents In McAllen
Are you having trouble with Texas rodents? The best solution is to contact Bugworks Termite & Pest Control. Our licensed pest professionals have the training and experience to evaluate your rodent problem, apply appropriate trapping and control methods, and perform inspections to make sure no rodents remain in your property. Reach out to us today for immediate assistance.
Very prompt and courteous service for our flea and tick control service. Employee Jorge Martinez arrived on time, answered any questions I had, and made my experience with Bug Works a very positive one. Thank you Jorge and Bug Works!